History of the School
Stuyvesant High School was founded in 1904 as a "manual training school for boys." It became co-ed in 1969, when it opened its doors to an initial class of 14 girls. Today, approximately 43% of the student body are female. Incoming ninth and tenth graders are selected by an examination that is open to all residents of New York City. Stuyvesant has served as a premier school for the development of talent in science, mathematics and technology. From its inception, it has been a school which serves an immigrant population. The school was housed in the same 15th Street building for almost 90 years. In September 1992, a multi-million dollar building was completed in Battery Park City for Stuyvesant High School. Four Nobel Laureates, as well as a host of leaders in science, mathematics, government, law, the arts, and music, are included among the graduates. With our outstanding record of academic achievement and our commitment to excellence, we feel that Stuyvesant High School merits the national recognition it has continued to maintain.